Monday, December 11, 2006

Sermo de linguam

Greetings to the two of you who actually read my blog! I just thought I'd post something interesting for you to read. Well, it's probably not that interesting but I'm posting it anyway. I've been listening to this song called Soli Deo Gloria by Too Bad Eugene and I decided to look up the meanings of the Latin words in the song. (Oh, and I knew they were in Latin because I'm taking Latin and because I'm geeky like that.) Anyway here are the lyrics, just for fun.

tell me, where can i run from You, is anywhere out of view?
been running so long, there's nowhere to hide
here now Your presence is all around, the light never flickers out
it searches my soul and pierces my mind
my world is left behind

and i hear You calling
confess with your mouth, believe in your heart, you shall be saved
and these walls start falling
You tear me down, you lift me up
my will is changed
You fan this flame

then You say to obey Your commands, i finally think i can
but not by my will, it's just by Your grace
so send me out and we'll change the world, every boy and girl
will know that You're king and know that You reign
all others pass away

and i feel Your peace now
greater is He, that is in me, than who's in the way
so i'll seek You first now
i'll take up my cross, consider my loss for Your sake gain
sola fide

and i hear You call out
confess with your mouth, believe in your heart, you shall be saved
so i'll seek You first now
i'll take up my cross, consider my loss for Your sake gain
sola fide

and soli deo gloria
to God alone be all the glory
let God be true and every man a liar
let every knee bow every tongue confess
to God alone be glory, not to men

Now, "sola fide" means "only faith" or "faith alone" and "soli deo gloria" means "glory to God alone" or as the next line suggests "to God alone be all the glory." Pretty cool, huh? I love Latin!

For a quick and fun RANDOM QUESTION, what is your favorite foreign language you've ever studied? (mine is obvious)

P.S. - best friend points to the people who know what the title means.

3 comments:

laura said...

well...my favorite foreign language i've studied so far is American Sign Language...or ASL.

PRH said...

Well, spanish I guess since that's the only foreign language I've ever taken. Only 1 yr. and no I'm not fluent not in the least. I never did any more and no wonder as here I am supposed to be doing my college work and not. (Actually, I lost the spanish book so it's a little different I guess.) I'm leaving.

PRH said...

Wheeeee! I've finished my quota of college courses before the holiday season.