Sunday, March 29, 2009

The House of God Forever

Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.


This piece of poetry served its purpose today as God reminded me of how often I want. So often I come before His glorious throne only in want, checking my praise and my thanksgiving at the door. I come, forgetting that He knows all and loves me just the same, unfold my worldly wish list, and wait with expectant eyes for my great and powerful Father to cater to my whims. How could I do such a thing? How could I lack so much trust and gratitude? Has He ever forgotten to give me everything I need, plus a little extra just because He loves me? Yet I return nearly every day with a new request, leaving my awe behind me and demanding some attention from the Creator. Why?

Truly He is all I need. He makes me rest in the greenest of pastures, even when I think I'm too busy and I need to do anything but rest. He gives to me freely from the sweetest, cleanest, most refreshing of waters, even when I crave less wholesome drink. He breathes life into my lifeless body time and time again, even when I would rather leave it behind. Why should I want? Why should I seek comfort and peace outside His rod and staff? They correct me and protect me on this trecherous road. What more do I think I need? As sure as I live, blessings follow me as I press on, and every once in a while they catch me. But will they cease their pursuit if I sit to wait for them and forsake the my own chase, the pursuit of the God of the blessings? May our eyes be lifted from self to Savior. May we learn to need Him more and to want His blessings less. May we be a people who are not in want.


We sang Jon Foreman's "The House of God Forever" this morning in assembly. It has now been given a place at the top of the playlist. Listen if you have a moment. Hear the Word of the Lord today.

1 comment:

Richard said...

Wow Libby. First of all, I have not heard that song before, but what an amazing song. I mean David was brilliant to put these words to music, and Jon Foreman was an incredible fulfiller (yeah i just said that) of David's dreams.
I wonder why we do what you said. That was an all too true analysis of what we do so often. How can we forget His love? His boundless, limitless, unconditional, beautiful, saving love and all He does because of that love.
In the song "Audience of One," they touch on this topic in your last paragraph. The expression has to do with seeking God's face and not His hand. This means loving, searching after, and yearning for God rather merely what He can do for you. I think this is a beautiful thing we need to do more. Thank you for your reminder. . .